If you’re looking for a simple snack to last the week through that’s gut-healthy and delicious, you’ve landed on the right page! This gingerbread recipe, with a healthy, hidden veggie twist, is a nutritious treat, perfect any time of the year and anytime of the day! It’s gluten free, grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
The best thing about this awesome loaf of goodness is that it’s ridiculously easy, has few ingredients and can be whipped up in the Vibe blender in no time. You don’t even need to steam and puree the pumpkin first! Yep, we throw chunks of raw pumpkin into the blender jug with all the other ingredients and blitz. It’s a one bowl, blender batter beauty to save you time in the kitchen.
We haven’t used molasses, the traditional ingredient in old-fashioned gingerbread, but we’ve mimicked the taste by using dates and honey. This combination blends to a similar dark, syrupy consistency with just as much flavour. Add ground ginger and cinnamon and the result is a full bodied, power snack that is a marriage between a traditional gingerbread cake and a simple date loaf. It’s seriously hearty, yet soft and moist. Eat it plain or spread it with butter or your favourite nut butter.
2 cups of whole almonds (preferably activated)
¼ cup honey
200 grams raw pumpkin cut into small pieces
1 cup cooking dates (approx. 140 grams) pitted and chopped
¼ cup of chia seeds
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of powdered ginger
¾ teaspoon of baking soda
½ cup of melted coconut oil or butter (120 grams)
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 150ºC / 300ºF
2. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
3. Add the whole almonds into the clear Vibe Blender jug.Secure the lid, then ‘pulse’ 4 – 5 times to crush.
4. Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed.
5. Insert the tamper into the blender lid, then blend on ‘nut’ mode for approximately 30 seconds, using the tamper to push the ingredients down into the blades.
6. Remove the lid.Run a spatula down into the batter to ensure that ground almonds are not caught under the blades.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle with chia seeds.
8. Bake for 45-50 mins or until the centre springs back when you touch it.
9. Delicious served warm, at room temperature or chilled.
10. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 6 days.