We love to cook from scratch with real ingredients, but we also love a good shortcut to a quick tasty meal. Commercial vegetable stock powder and veggie salt blends are a common pantry ingredient to help time poor home cooks, but the ingredients list is often questionable. Making a batch of homemade veggie stock powder is a far healthier solution and it’s so easy to do. This blend is 100% natural, and made purely with fresh, vegetables, herbs and good quality salt. All you need to do is chop vegetables and all you need is the Breeze food dehydrator and a high-speed blender. With very little effort you'll be able to enjoy a super tasty, stock powder that is nutritionally far superior to anything you can buy.
We love the simple combination of vegetables in the basic blend because it works well as a base with all cuisines, but feel free to include other herbs and vegetables to come up with your own unique blend. You could add capsicum, tomato, basil or sage for an Italian style stock, or, ginger, lemon grass and chilli for an Asian flavour. Experiment, the possibilities are endless. This flavourful homemade stock powder is so handy and versatile you’ll wonder why you didn’t make it sooner!
Your homemade stock powder is ready to use in any recipe calling for stock or broth, such as soups, stews, stir-fry, risotto, etc, but it also makes a great seasoning, so add it to burgers, crumbing ingredients or sprinkle a bit on salads or roast vegetables. Any dish that needs an extra dose of flavour can be enhanced with homemade vegetable stock powder.
As a guide, 1 teaspoon of homemade veggie stock powder makes 1 cup of liquid stock.
2 large carrots
6 celery ribs
1 large leek
8 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of salt
1 red capsicum
1 thumb of fresh ginger root
1 thumb of fresh turmeric root
Handful of fresh parsley with stems attached
2-4 twigs of fresh thyme
1-2 twigs of fresh rosemary
8 fresh sage leaves
Handful of fresh basil leaves
1. Wash and peel the veggies then slice into small uniform pieces.
2. Arrange the veggies on dehydrator trays lined with silicon mesh liners. See the tips above.
3. Set the temperature to 75 degrees C and the timer 8-10 hours.
4. Once all your veggies are dried, allow them to cool on the trays and adjust to room temperature for 1-2 hours.
5. Tip the dehydrated vegetables into a large bowl or directly into the Vibe blender jug.
6. Add the salt.
7. Press the 'pulse' function several times. Lift the jug from the base and give the jug a shake. Return the jug and pulse until the dried vegetables are reduced to a fine powder
8. Pour the vegetable powder into a glass jar and seal with a lid.
9. Store in the pantry, away from direct sunlight or moisture and use within 3 months.