Cauliflower is a nutrient-dense and versatile vegetable. One of the most ingenious things you can do with it, is to turn it into ‘rice'. Cauliflower rice is low-carb, low-starch, grain-free, gluten-free, paleo and vegan, and most importantly, delicious! Dietary concerns aside, it’s simply a sure-fire way to stack an extra serving of vegetables into your day.
Cauliflower rice is also super easy to make. On the internet you’re sure to find oodles of recipes but they only reference two ways of making it. Grating by hand (which is slow and frustrating) or grating with a food processor. We want you to ignore both, as no method is as easy or fast as the, less known, blender jug and water method. The Vibe Blender turns cauliflower florets into a healthy, low-carb rice or couscous alternative in seconds - with an easy clean up!
Once you have your cauliflower 'riced', you can enjoy it raw or cook it. It's as versatile as rice grains. Add seasoning of your choice.
1 head of cauliflower (or less - half a cauliflower goes quite a long way)
1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil (for cooking the rice)
Salt & pepper to taste.
1 onion finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons of sautéed freshly crushed garlic
1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon of freshly grated turmeric or ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
Tamari or soy sauce
Fresh chives, parsley, coriander or mint
Pinch of saffron threads
1. Wash and thoroughly dry the cauliflower
2. Cut away the leaves
3. Chop the cauliflower into florets, leaving the stems on.
4. Throw the florets into the clear Vibe blender jug until three-quarters full. (approx. half a head of cauliflower will fill the jug)
5. Fill the jug with water to below the 2000 ml capacity marker.
6. Secure the lid on
7. ‘Pulse’ the blender 3-4 times. The cauliflower will resemble grains of rice floating in water.
8. Pour the contents of the jug into a wire mesh strainer and tap to remove as much water as possible.
9. Pour the cauliflower rice into a bowl and repeat the process with the remaining florets.
Raw cauliflower rice should be kept airtight in the fridge and used within 2 days. Uncooked cauliflower rice freezes well and should be used within 2 months. Tip: to avoid the rice going soggy, do not defrost first. It may just need a few extra minutes cooking.
12. Heat the oil in a medium skillet or pan on the stove top.
13. Optional - Sauté chopped onion, garlic or fresh ginger
14. Add the ‘riced’ cauliflower and stir to combine.
15. Cover with a lid so the cauliflower steams and becomes tender without browning on the bottom.
16. Cook for a total of 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally
17. Season with salt and pepper or as desired
18. Serve warm
19. Store cooked cauliflower rice left-overs in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days