Who doesn’t LUV pizza? Wouldn’t it be awesome if you could enjoy it regularly guilt free? The Luvele Kitchen luvs to explore unconventional ways to make your favourite ‘unhealthy foods’ healthy so that even when you're following a specific diet you can still enjoy your favourite foods. This pizza crust is the ultimate example.
These bases are gluten free, egg free, nut free, yeast free, oil free and vegan, but most importantly they’re delicious! We’ve tested these bases on serious critics and no one can believe how good they are; with a light, crunchy texture, neutral taste and sturdy enough to be the foundation for lashings of toppings.
If you’re not into making dough, kneading and getting the bench covered in flour, you’ll love our cheat’s method, made in a blender. Simply grind the seeds and pour the batter into a tray. Apart from the soaking time, this is the speediest homemade pizza base around, which can only mean one thing - pizza more often!
Makes: 3 small or 2 regular sized pizza. Multiply the ingredients for more bases.
1 ½ cups uncooked white quinoa
4 cups of water (for soaking)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (for soaking)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup water
Soaking & activating the quinoa.
Pour the quinoa seeds into a large glass or ceramic bowl, add the soaking water and apple cider vinegar/ lemon juice. Stir to incorporate then set aside for 6-8 hours or overnight.
Making the pizza batter
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350 °F
2. Line the bottom of 3 x 9-inch cake tins or 2 pizza trays with baking paper.
3. Pour the soaking water out and drain the quinoa into a mesh strainer then rinse the seeds thoroughly under running water.
4. Tap the strainer to remove the excess water then put the seeds into the blender jug.
5. Add the baking powder, salt and half cup of water then blend on ‘nut’ mode for 50 seconds or until a smooth pancake batter consistency. Stop once to scrape down the sides if whole quinoa seeds have escaped the batter.
6. Pour batter onto the prepared trays and spread to the edges with a spatula.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. The bases will shrink slightly and may come out of the oven wonky.
9. Allow to cool slightly, then peel away the baking paper. As the bases cool they will flatten out.
10. Top with your favourite pizza ingredients and bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
11. Transfer to a cutting board, slice and serve immediately